Rage Against the Machine is a Grammy-award winning rock band that formed in 1991. The band is known for its politically charged lyrics and energetic live shows. Here are 10 secrets about Rage Against the Machine.
1. Zack de la Rocha was originally not going to be in the band. Tom Morello and Tim Commerford were looking for someone to sing vocals and they found Zack de la Rocha through a mutual friend.
2. Rage Against the Machine is one of the most commercially successful independent bands of all time. The band has sold more than 30 million albums worldwide.
3. “Killing in the Name” was banned by many radio stations because of its explicit lyrics. The song eventually became the band’s biggest hit.
4. Rage Against the Machine is known for its politically charged lyrics. The band has been very vocal about their political beliefs, including support for the Zapatista movement in Mexico and criticism of the United States government.
5. The band broke up in 2000, but reunited in 2007 for a series of concerts. They have since toured sporadically.
6. Tom Morello is known for his unique guitar playing style, which he calls “fuzz guitar.” He uses a variety of effects pedals to create a distorted sound that is characteristic of Rage Against the Machine’s music.
7. Rage Against the Machine is one of the most influential bands of all time. Their music has been cited as an influence by many modern rock bands, including Muse and System of a Down.
8. The band’s name is derived from a song by the rap group Public Enemy.
9. Rage Against the Machine is one of the few rock bands to perform in Cuba. They played a concert in Havana in 1999.
10. In 1992, the band was invited to play at the White House for Bill Clinton’s inauguration party. They were the first rock band to ever play at an inauguration ball.
11. Rage Against the Machine is one of the most politically active bands in the world. They have supported a number of political causes, including workers’ rights, animal rights, and Native American rights.
12. The band’s debut album, Rage Against the Machine, was released in 1992 and was certified triple platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America.
13. “Bulls on Parade” was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance in 1997.
14. The band’s third studio album, Battle of Los Angeles, was released in 1999 and was certified platinum by the RIAA.
15. In 2000, Rage Against the Machine announced that they were breaking up.
16. In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine named Rage Against the Machine the greatest metal band of all time.
17. In 2005, “Killing in the Name” was ranked number 12 on VH1’s list of the 100 Greatest Songs of All Time.
18. The band’s debut album was ranked number 368 on Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
19. Rage Against the Machine is one of only a few bands to perform at both Lollapalooza and Woodstock.
20. In 2011, Rage Against the Machine was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
There you have it – 20 secrets about Rage Against the Machine. What’s your favorite Rage Against the Machine song? Let us know in the comments.